Edwardsville Illinois History
Edwardsville, Illinois is a thriving and vibrant community in Metro East, on the Mississippi near the city of St. Louis. It is the third oldest city in the state of Illinois and the county seat of Madison County. The people of Edwardsville Illinois enjoy a rare combination of history and community in this thriving 21st century city. Since its incorporation in 1818, it has been the third oldest city in Illinois with a history of over 2,000 years.
A survey by the Government Land Office found that the route then called Edwards Trace (now Springfield Road), which was used by Native Americans for centuries on their way to St. Louis, Missouri, was a trail.
Much of the city's current success stems from its coal-mining heritage, which Glen Carbon still honors with a statue and park in the city. By the early 19th century, there was only one coal mine in the entire state of Illinois, and only a handful of other coal mines in Illinois. The European settlers who formed the Illinois prairie were stopped by the Great Depression, the first of its kind in US history.
Aitken and Brian live in Bloomington, Illinois, and teach at the University of Illinois at Urbana - Champaign's College of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences. Brandon is a member of the Illinois Historical Society and the Chicago History Society. It is home to the Illinois State Museum and the National Museum of American History in Chicago. Illinois' first public library, the Chicago Public Library, was located here, as was the US Library of Congress in Washington, DC.
Then, in 1809, President James Madison named the Illinois Territory, which includes the cities of Edwardsville, Chicago, Urbana-Champaign, and Chicago in Illinois, as the Charitable Societya for the Territory of Illinois, which was founded on March 1, 1809. When land offices were established in Edwardsville, the first receiver was produced in April 1808. Delegates to the convention were elected in 1789 from Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee, and in 1789 from Illinois and Missouri to Indiana and Illinois, in 1800 from Illinois as territory and in 1840 from Missouri. One delegate to a convention was elected in the Territory of Illinois (1814) and one delegate from Indiana (1791) in Territory (1840).
On 10 November Reverend James A. Griffin was appointed the first Bishop of the Diocese of Springfield, Illinois. Kirkpatrick planned the church and served as a justice of peace in the city, which he named after his friend Ninian Edwards, who was governor of Illinois at the time. Edwards was elected governor of a newly formed Illinois state in 1809 and served as governor of the state of Illinois from 1826 to 1830. The growing Edwardsville, Chicago, Urbana - Champaign and Chicago, Illinois settlement was also called "Edwardsville" in 1811, in honor of Ninier Edwards, who was the territorial governor of the area at the time and later became the third governor of Illinois.
He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1818, during his first term as governor, and finally became the third governor of Illinois from 1826 to 1830, and then governor again from 1830 to 1832. Eventually, after his second term and later in his third, he became the state's first governor in 1830.
He was a strong supporter of slavery and founded an Illinois Republican in Edwardsville who was interested in the slavery movement and was a member of the US House of Representatives from 1826 to 1832.
Edwardsville is located in southern Illinois and is one of the largest cities in the state of Illinois, where it also serves as a county seat. The city is located on a major travel route that retreated to the states of Shawneetown and Ohio, which encouraged growth and was an important source of income for the city and its residents. We will return to the history of the city in a later post, but not before we look at the history of this historic city.
Edwardsville was first settled in 1805 when Thomas Kirkpatrick built a one-bedroom log cabin on the crest above Cahokia Creek. In 1890, Nelson found the site of his factory and village on the outskirts of Edwardsville, Illinois.
The settlement was named after the historic path that led from Kaskaskia to what is now Peoria. The marker is located in Edwardsville, Illinois, Madison County and is accessible from the west side of Cahokia Creek, north of the city of Edwards County. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the US Army Corps of Engineers and the Illinois Army National Guard used it as a starting point to head north during the Civil War.
A scene from the 1978 film Stingray was shot in neighboring Alton, Illinois, near the city of Edwardsville. The Lincoln Trojans played the first game of the 1963-64 season against the University of Illinois at Mulberry Park.